With cooked lentils and diced carrots, celery, bell peppers, onions, parsley, and lemon juice, this healthy lentil salad tastes better overnight and is perfect before lunch.
I love warm lentils, like chicken and lentil soup or lentils, rice, eggs and bacon, but I’ve never really liked lentils in salads (I’m a picky pea). eater). But that all changed when I bought a cold lentil salad at a health food store many years ago. My homemade version was a fraction of the cost of the store-bought one, so save your money and get this salad ready ASAP Make it! It’s also vegan, high in fiber and protein, and only about 100 calories per serving.
What is lentil salad made of?
- lentil: Brown lentils are cooked with bay leaves and fresh thyme. If you’re in a hurry, canned lentils are fine too. If lentils aren’t your thing, try making them with legumes and grains like white beans, chickpeas, and quinoa.
- vegetable: This salad recipe calls for celery, bell peppers, and carrots, but feel free to use whatever. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, chopped spinach, and celery all work well.
- onion: Swap red onions for shallots or green onions.
- Herbs: Sub-fresh basil, mint and chives for parsley.
- dressing: Add lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper directly to the lentil mixture. No need to whip separately. You can also substitute red or white wine vinegar with lemon juice.
How to cook lentils for lentil salad
Lentils cook much faster than dry beans.
- Place lentils, bay leaves, and thyme in a medium saucepan.
- Cover lentils with 1 inch of water. Do not add salt to the water at this point. It takes a long time to cook.
- Bring lentils to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender and not mushy, 16-20 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaves.
Preparing a Lentil Salad Meal
I make a lot of this cold lentil salad recipe, so it will serve me for several meals. If you’re looking for more meal prep salads with legumes, try my Black Bean, Avocado, Cucumber, Tomato Salad and Fiesta Bean Salad.
More Lentil Recipes You’ll Love:
A healthy lentil salad with cooked lentils and diced carrots, celery, bell peppers, onions, parsley and lemon juice makes a great lunch appetizer.
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- Five tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tea spoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Place lentils, bay leaf, and thyme in a medium saucepan.
Add enough water to cover 1 inch.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, about 16 to 20 minutes.
Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaves.
Place carrots, celery, red pepper, red onion, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large work bowl.
Mix and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serving: 1slight cup, calorie: 102kcal, carbohydrate: 20g, protein: 7g, thick: 3g, sodium: 255mg, fiber: 9g, sugar: 1g
WW Points Plus: 3
keyword: vegetarian meal
Your comments are helpful!! If you try this lentil salad Recipes or other recipes from Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! We welcome your suggestions, variations and feedback. If you took a photo, share it on Instagram. You can reshare it in your story.